You spend so much time choosing a lip color – you ask the person at the counter to swatch almost ever shade on your forearm, before you pick a color.
You have a collection of lip crayons, lip glosses and lip tints and you have segregated them into day and night, regular use and special occasion and so on.
You even own a few lip balms, but how much attention do you actually pay to your lips care?
Did you know the lips are 100 times more sensitive than the tips of your fingers, because there are a lot more nerves that end in your lips than your fingers. However, the body does not have any specific mechanism of protecting the lips, which is why the onus often falls on us to give it that extra care.
But why would I even need a lip care product?
Yup, this is a question a fair few people would ask – they would think that their lips are in reasonably good health and they do apply a lip balm, but does lip balm work, like really work?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are your lips always dry?
- Do you have to keep licking them?
- Does your lip balm feel like it has disappeared in minutes?
Well, then your lip balm is probably not doing you much good.
What makes your lips dry?
Without us even knowing, there may be a number of issues troubling our lips and here are some of the most common reasons:
- Dry, chapped lips can result from dehydration brought on by low humidity.
- People with sinus problems or breathing difficulties who breathe more through their mouths than their noses, may also experience this problem.
- Lips can become dry and cracked when they are already chapped and dry, as well as when saliva or spit builds up around the lips.
7 easy ways of how to care for lips
At indē wild, we are constantly looking for ways to improve your skin, hair and now your lip health too. Here are some easy ways to take care of your lips and ensure they are always pout ready:
- Hydrate them often - Drinking lots of water is one of the easiest ways to take care of practically every part of your body, including your lips. Drinking lots of water hydrates your skin from the inside out.
- Stop licking! - Saliva does not hydrate your lips; although it may temporarily moisten them when you lick your lips, the residual salt will make your lips even more parched! So, as tempting as it might seem, take the effort to stop licking your lips!
- Exfoliate your lips too – You exfoliate your face at least once or twice a week, then why not your lips too! By exfoliating your lips, you are removing all the dry and flaky skin, revealing healthier skin underneath. All you have to do is wet your lips and then use a soft wet toothbrush or a washcloth and gently rub it over your lips.
- Mask up – You can actually create DIY lip masks to nourish and hydrate your lips – honey and brown sugar, aloevera and coconut oil – there are plenty of home remedies to pamper your lips! You can apply these lip masks based on your overall skin type and get more hydrated lip skin.
- Strip down – Well, we told you to mask up, but we are also telling you to strip down – when you are back home after a long day, you take the time to wash your face and remove all makeup. Do remember to take off all the lip colour/stain too! At night, when you are getting ready to hit the bed, all you will want for your lips would be the best product for lip care!
- A little extra moisture - Your lips require a method to retain moisture just like the rest of your face, so make an investment in a high-quality lip care product that will hydrate, nourish, and preserve the moisture in your lips. Additionally, you must ensure that you keep reapplying as and when necessary.
- Read the label – When you are picking a product, you need to make sure that you are choosing the best ingredients for lips; so ideally, you should look for ingredients such as shea butter, phospholipids, linoleic acid, hyaluronic acid and squalane, because these are all known to hydrate, deeply nourish and intensely moisturise the skin.
Perhaps the easiest way to give your lips some love is to pick a tube of our Dewy Lip Treatment – it contains all those things that are good for your lips. In addition to that, it will intensely hydrate your lips, lock in the moisture and give you that dewy look, while making your lips look the right type of plump!