Talk to any person of Indian origin and they will tell you how, every Sunday, there would be a routine of putting oil in hair in their home. Either their mother or grandmother or they themselves would take the time to comb out their hair, apply pure coconut oil and leave it for a few hours and then wash it off. It comes as no surprise that most people of Indian origin have the most gorgeous hair (have you seen our founder Diipa and her mom’s hair?)
But why is hair oiling needed?
There are plenty of people who are not particularly excited about the thought of applying oil to their hair – your hands become greasy, your hair becomes greasy and you are pretty sure that at least a few drops are going to go everywhere else but your head! So, why get into the hassle, right?
Studies have shown that hair oiling is extremely beneficial for hair health and growth. When you oil your hair, you are giving it an intense amount of hydration and protection. Moreover, when you use a shampoo, you are removing not only the dirt and grime, but also the natural oils that are present in your scalp and hair. So, by oiling your hair before washing it, you are ensuring that there is an extra layer of protection for your hair.
Traditionally, hair oiling would be done with coconut oil or almond oil, but these days, you can get combination oils, which contain more than one potent oil and often several other ingredients, which are good for hair health. For instance, if you pick our bottle of Champi hair oil, you will see that it contains coconut oil, castor oil, sesame seed oil, almond oil and Indian argan oil, each of which is recognised for its nourishing and protective properties. In addition to that, we have handpicked ingredients from the world of Ayurveda, such as extracts of hibiscus flower, bhringraj, brahmi, amla, tulsi leaf, fenugreek and neem, all of which have been used for centuries to improve hair texture and strength.
Oiling is fine, but do I need a hair oil massage?
Talk to a hair expert and they will tell you that when you massage your scalp, it improves the blood circulation in the scalp, which can not only improve hair growth, but can also help you relax. This was probably one of the reasons why mothers would indulge in a session of hair oil massage for the entire family on a Sunday – not only would it be nutrition for the hair, but also a nurturing and nourishing session to relax the body and mind after a hectic week.
Just using your fingers, or you can invest in one of those silicon massagers, simply spend a few minutes massaging your scalp and when you do this regularly, you will be sure to see your hair becoming healthier and so much better looking!
Here is how you should apply oil on hair:
Now that you are convinced that oiling hair is actually good for you, allow us to teach you the simple art of Champi and educate you a little on the deep science behind it:
- Take a few pipettes of our Champi hair oil (the amount will be dependent on your hair length and volume) into a bowl and pop it into the microwave for about 30 seconds. You want it just warm to the touch.
- Using a wide toothed comb, untangle your hair gently and then section it off, starting off with a middle part.
- Using your fingertips, apply the oil to your hair and rub it in very gently. Do this to all the sections of the hair and make sure that you are oiling your hair as you go.
- Now, using your nose as a starting point, go straight up your forehead and reach the top of your head – apply gentle pressure with the palm of your hand for a few seconds.
- Similarly, using your fingertips, apply gentle pressure on the sides of your forehead. Using the same set of fingers, work your way to the centre of the head and continue massaging.
- Finally, move to the base of the head and gently massage the base of your neck too. You can choose to lie down for 5 minutes, focusing on your breathing.
- Once done, you can tie your hair up in a gentle bun and leave it for at least a few hours, before washing the excess oil out.
The gentle massage will not only stimulate the nerve endings on your scalp, but the nourishing ingredients in our oil will give your hair the love and protection it needs.
And then there are the dos and don’ts of hair oiling:
- Do not massage your head too vigorously, it can make your hair weak and prone to breakage.
- Do not be in a hurry to wash your hair – allow the oil to sit in your hair for at least an hour.
- Do not wash your hair in very hot water, because it will leave your hair feeling very dry – choose either room temperature or at the most, warm water.
- Do remember to wash, rinse and repeat – this will ensure that all excess oil is washed off.
Now that you have learnt the why and how to apply of hair oil, it is time that you come to indē wild and pick your own bottle of Champi hair oil, and give your hair the love and pampering it deserves!